Pages

01 September 2019

Fierce independence

The notion of 'independence' is very much ingrained in the English psyche.  Fierce independence!  The notion that one needs to manage one's own business and that every one can, is something of an innate idea among the English population.  This is reflected very vividly from individual undertaking to national politics.  Take Brexit.  A typical attitude that Europe is actually obstructing Britain's growth.  That on our own we are better off.  This insulation of self, is also reflected in individual attitudes.  I wonder how many residents of this country can proudly claim to know and actually be friends with their neighbours.  Most of whom I know, do not even know their neighbours.  Leave alone interact with them regularly or be friends with them.  I don't think I would be too off the mark to state that this feature is also among Salesians and is a one of our characteristic working style! 

I also see that this sort of "individualistic" attitude does have its advantages and benefits.  It results in a thoroughbred professionalism.  A great experience in focus and system building.  But the downside of it is that it goes again the very social nature of humankind.  I achieve success alone.  I struggle also alone!  We know the other, but not more than at a very very peripheral level.  And we think that that knowledge is more than sufficient.  Anything more is an intrusion of privacy.  We work, but as isolated individuals.  In case I fail, the system will pitch in - not another concerned friend or neighbour.  Nor will I ask someone to help me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...