Pages

28 October 2012

Journey back home

I'm just back in my room after a 30 hour train journey.  Travelling back from Mumbai to Vizag by Konark Express was a humbling experience.  My ticket was still in waiting list and by the time I reached the station and the chart was prepared it had only managed to crawl upto WL 8. Well, I had reached the station prepared: water bottles, newspaper and of course some study of the reservation chart stuck at the train entrances. Till Pune there was hardly anyone in my compartment.  At Pune it got filled in to its capacity. The ticket collector would not even look at my ticket to let me know what the present status was, once told that it 'was' wait listed!

Anyway once people had gone off to sleep, I calmly pulled out the newspaper, spread them out and went off to sleep on the floor. I had a very good sleep, except for an occasion, kick or stamp from some. I woke up at 6.30 fresh and good!   Sometime just before lunch, a kind gentleman offered me his side upper berth to rest.  He was watching me all along and somehow seemed convinced that I was an honest chap. (Praise God!).

I had certainly counted on the generosity of my co-passengers even before I had boarded the train.  Fr Elson had offered help to try and get my ticket confirmed.  But somehow I did not want to cut the line - precisely because, I was fine, I had no lugguage and I was in no hurry. I somehow had the feeling that someone more in a desperate need would need this 'jump' up the waiting list... I hope they did.

My copassengers were very polite and accommodative.  They never grumbled nor squabbled but very generously shared the available space.  Though the train was fully packed I never heard anyone fight or agrue over their place. Something really humbling and consoling, given that I was trespassing their (rightful owners) grounds. Anyway, thanks to God and to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...