Pages

21 October 2012

Christ the Prophet

For the first time yesterday during my journey from Hyderabad to Mumbai, I was reading a book in the train.  Earlier times, I always used to doze off, as soon as the train rolled out of the station.  This time round, I guess, I had sufficient and enough rest in the retreat time and I was quite fresh.  Moreover, I had slept well the previous night - something I wouldn't when I knew a journey was to follow.

While in the train I was reading the book Jesus' Plan for a New World: The Sermon on the Mount by Richard Rohr.  The early part of the book already gives a clear picture of the author's mind.  The latter half of the book is mostly an exegesis of the Gospel of Mathew.  However, there are quite some insights offered all along.  Among the many that I came across, I found the following quite true.  The author in several ways challenges us to get back to the original Jesus, the pre-Church Jesus, the one who dared and most often went against the established system for the sake of truth and love.  This one is about how we have lost that aspect in the modern days.  Recalling our attention to the triple dimension of Christ (as King, Priest and Prophet), the author has this revealing point to make:
I always wondered why we had feast days and institutions named in honour of Christ the King, many statues and crosses of Christ the Priest, but I have never in all the Catholic world met a celebration or picture in honour of Christ the Prophet.  Something's out of balance. (129). 
I did something to see how true it is (not that it needed confirmation, but for information!): I googled (images) 'Christ the Prophet'.  Surprisingly there was anything hardly fitting the description. As in reality, difficult to even visualize something so earthly and basic.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...