Pages

06 July 2018

Belief

All universally accepted 'truths' or facts were once assumptions or postulates yet to be proved. Most of what we hold as true is based on inference. And going down the line of inferences that first inference is based on, we will encounter assumptions – even assumptions that are universal and true.

Believing does not really involve any kind of judgement or knowledge – knowledge how, knowledge that, justified true belief, or other beliefs (???). When I walk I do not believe that the ground under my feet will hold my weight. I walk! I may be thinking of my interview or the journey or even my own belief in God, but believing in the ground under my feet is not one of them! … basically out of habit or regular behaviour.

(... something missing??)

1 comment:

  1. In your particular example, it seems like we don't believe but we assume from past experience that the ground will stay firm. If we try out that assumption on water or ice, there may be different consequences. Then we get to know that the assumption holds good only for the ground. If however, we were so interested, we could ask why is it not the same on all surfaces and then get into the reasons and understanding of the nature and properties of different matter.
    So, the question of belief tends to arise when an opposing/ different notion or fact is proposed for examination. Until then, there is no need to have any belief. There are experiences that lead to assumptions. So if it were about god. If I had no concept of god, I would have no beliefs about it. Because I have a concept of god, I make some assumptions and declarations. When those assumptions are challenged, i make those into beliefs. If i experience god, i would not have assumptions or beliefs about it. It would become fact.
    hehehe.. now I understand that I assume that belief needs no proof and I'm not sure what I'm talking about :D

    suddenly remembered the movie, the gods must be crazy. When the coke bottle falls from the sky, their beliefs are the context in which they interpret the fact/experience of the bottle.
    at this rate, sweetie, I will go crazy. So will shut up haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...