Pages

10 January 2018

Luxury of plenty

Some confreres still get surprised when they see me eat breakfast (for quite sometime now it is only brunch!)... just anything that is there in the fridge.  I mostly eat what is most likely to go in the bin the first!  No one in the community really eats anything that's left over of the previous meals.  Meals containing fish is a perfect 'no-repeat'!  However, with me, there is no expiry date for any food!  This morning someone asked me, "How can you take that for breakfast?"  I replied, "Why not? It is food.  For those who have the luxury of plenty and choice, there is 'breakfast', 'lunch' and 'dinner'.  For the many who hardly have enough to eat, it is just food!"

Coming from a culture where I food is valued with great respect and having grown up in a habit of not wasting any food, I now cannot stomach food being thrown.  There is also the respect for the farmer who slogs for months or years to grow the produce, be that a vegetable or an animal.  Then there is the animal or the fish that is slain purely for consumption.  If that sole purpose is so easily and fanatically discarded, then life itself is treated so. Here in the UK, sometimes 'health and safety' does cross the threshold of paranoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...