Pages

01 June 2013

Be human


In our Salesian formation process, among the various criteria given to facilitate the follow up of those aspiring and growing in their Salesian vocation, the first to be listed is that of human maturity.  Indeed it is a bit odd to note that given the fact that Priesthood and the Church is related more to prayer and piety, that human formation takes the priority in this module.  I also was reading one of the ordination homilies and came across this beautiful piece of advice by the preacher.  

First of all be human. ...never forget you are priests but don't forget that first you are a human being. 
(read more of it here at The Deacon's Bench).
The reason for this initial focus is quite logical, simple and highly theological at the same time. None can deny that we are human beings prior to anything else. Life, in its form gifted to us, is in the human form.  Theologically, God revealed Himself to us, not in the form of God or even an angel, but as God-Incarnate! 

1 comment:

  1. Very true advice. Reminded me of a rather difficult lady I had to interact with when i was a social worker in blore. The community we worked with was muslim and the regular field workers were hindu, and very particular about caste and food rules etc. So they would never sit together with the entire group to eat. They would sit separately and turn their backs to the group. When I went in for trainings, I made everyone sit together and eat and people shared food with me. I did not realise the impact of that change until this particular lady who was known to be a fighter, pointed it out to me. She told me, "Isko kehte hai, insaan." And something to the effect that that is Allah's first requirement. I have not forgotten that statement since.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...