Pages

01 June 2013

Happy because...

Late this evening as I was strolling on the drive, lost in thought, I sensed some movement at the far end of the drive under the arch.  It was already quite dark and I really could not make out what it was, till I realised that it was our German Shepherd, Ginger, which was chained there by the cooks.  As usual it recognised me from far and was happy about me being there.  It then dawned on me that its happiness was not related to me noticing it or doing something for it.  That it was dark and I did not see it at all, did not in any way dampen its joyful spirit.  I corrected my foolishness, in this line of thought when I realised its happiness was not some show it was putting up for me. Its joy was an expression of its inner state of happiness... irrespective of whether someone noticed it or not, whether it was bright or pitch dark, whether I did something for it or not...

I remembered a quote of Anthony de Mello
The bird sings not because it has an answer, but because it has a song to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...