Pages

10 February 2018

Jesus, the leper and me

The gospel reading of tomorrow is that of Jesus healing the leper (Mark 1: 40-45).  In fact the theme running through all the readings of the day is that of healing by touch. 
As I prepared for a meditation for the university students on this particular gospel passage, I tried to get involved in this particular event by viewing it from the perspective of one individual present in the narration.  So I chose to be one of the spectators watching the leper cry out to Jesus and the latter healing him.  In a way I felt jealous of this leper because he got what he wanted.  There were many things I could have asked the Lord but I just stood there waiting for something to happen to think, to act.  This leper really needed something and he did not feel ashamed or embarrassed to beg Jesus for the same.  Perhaps my needs were not really needs but merely wants! 

Another insight that one of the youngsters shared was that he felt irritated that the leper, after being healed did the opposite of what Jesus had asked him to do.  Instead of appearing before the priest quietly, he went about the whole town shouting about his cure!  How disrespectful of him to do so!  Disobey the explicit command of the one who granted him his only request!  But then he said, perhaps I too am the same: doing what I want to do rather than what Jesus asks me to do, especially after I've been blessed with something!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...