Pages

05 February 2018

I will seek other shores...

A few days ago heard this particular hymn, and was immediately struck by the chorus:
O Lord with your eyes set upon me gently smiling, 
You have spoken my name. 
All I longed for I have found by the water 
at your side, I will seek other shores. 
A hymn with a strong vocational dimension.  The call.  The invitation and the response!

Lord you have come to the seashore,
Neither searching for the rich nor the wise
desiring only that I should follow.

The tension Paul expresses in his letter to the Corinthians, read yesterday for the second reading, wherein he speaks of being 'compelled' to proclaim the Gospel, is not something everyone can grasp.  How can one be free when one feels compelled?  How can one feel happy and thrilled when cannot but obey?  In a way, only one who has gone through such an experience can understand it.  The mental logic cannot really set to rest the tension such a compelling call creates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...