Pages

03 March 2013

Maiden visit to the land of Churches

On Wednesday February 27, in the early hours we received the sad news of the demise of Fr Jose Maliekal's mother.  She was an epitome of health and strength and so her sudden death, due to a heart attack was a shock for all who knew her well.  I accompanied Fr Maliekal to his hometown of Puthenpeedika, Trichur (Kerala) for the funeral and as a representative of the community.

This was my maiden visit to Kerala and I certainly did not expect it would be for this sad occasion.  Though Fr Maliekal offered to take me to a couple of Salesian houses in the vicinity of his house or others offered to take me around after the funeral I politely declined since I wanted to spend time with the family.  I am glad I did that.  I got to meet all his family members, even the distant ones.  Fr Maliekal made sure I was introduced to each one.  He also made sure they were well confused about me being a Brother.  Of course, he was only trying to demystify the idea of 'only a brother - yet to become a priest'.  He was trying his best to tell them that there is something more than just being a brother, on the way to Priesthood!

Two things that struck me immediately about Kerala: there are churches everywhere. In fact, the first noticeable structure that I recognised from the plane was a Church - and so was every other structure.  Fr Maliekal's home parish itself was a huge thing. Secondly all along the roads, every 10 mins one comes across a nun in her habit - now that's something one does not witness everywhere (perhaps in Rome, maybe).

Overall, it was a very very enriching trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...