Pages

03 March 2013

Funeral of Ms Kochuthresia

I am not very comfortable at funerals, hence I avoid them altogether.  I must have attended no more than 3 funerals so far.  This funeral, the one of Fr Maliekal's mother was quite different and unique.  It was much more sober than the ones I previously attended. It was as per the Syrian rite... therefore no Mass but just a service before the funeral (there was one for the family after the funeral, though).  The ceremony conducted at home itself was quite moving.  Though held in Malayalam, I could feel the depth and the richness of the liturgy.  Another interesting fact I noticed was that everytime a religious or a Priest would come to pay their last respects, there would be a special prayer they would intone and all those present would join.  It was something really very prayerful.  And this funeral would be most special because, this is the first time I witnessed someone being interned in the wall and not buried.

Here are a few snaps of the funeral procession...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...