Pages

30 March 2013

He's supposed to walk, isn't he?

My three year old nephew while watching the passion play being enacted in my home parish made this comment sometime halfway through...
He is supposed to walk, isn't he?  Tell them to beat him again.  
Most probably he was at the second or third fall of Jesus.  As Mum reported this to me today, she was laughing. She told me, he was partially upset because his sleep was disturbed and no one was moving, till Jesus moved.

Well, I asked myself, Jesus was 'supposed' to have walked the way of Calvary, but was He supposed to?  Had he not 'walked' that way, that day and certainly for that purpose, perhaps, like my nephew's comment, we'd all be still standing still, where we were, making no progress.  Not knowing where to go.  Even in His moments of agony, Jesus leads the way. All I'm asked to do is be courageous and generous enough to walk in His footsteps. 

1 comment:

  1. That was so hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing. What a different perspective. I can relate to Chris. The point is not about Jesus and his real walk to Calvary or his suffering and death.

    On Good Friday, listening (because I was standing outside and could not see) to the priest who was conducting the way of the cross, I felt a peculiar disconnect. At times, the priest raised relevant analogies between our sinful realities and Jesus's journey, but he tried whenever he could, to infuse dramatic emotion into the whole thing- which only resulted in bad grammar and a distancing from the service. People seem to think that unless delivered with high histrionics, we won't grasp the savagery of an innocent man's murder. And i ended up feeling strange because opposing emotions were roused- a rather sentimental feeling of being moved by the passion and my brain rationally tracking grammar and dialogue delivery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...