Conclusion, we slog today, tomorrow and here after - all by ourselves! Worse still, when students pass out of our institutions, they have little or no sense of social responsibility, even though we taught them, we paid their fees, we bought their uniforms, we provided them with the best of education!! But imagine if we were to involve all those whom we interact with in our daily mission, introduce them to OUR work (not merely my work)... Some ideas that cropped up in my mind today as I listened to Fr MC George I put down here:
- take boys/parishioners to our other Salesian centres for a day of outing.
- while preparing souvenirs, brochures and booklets, include a small note about the other works we do.
- invite young people for a retreat or day of recollection in our formation houses (when the formees are there, not when they are gone for holidays!).
- get our own friends to speak to our aspirants - anything!
- get street children into our 'mainstream' schools.
- involve high school children in organising camps for the less-privileged children.