Pages

05 January 2020

Good human beings and honest citizens

The Strenna of the Rector Major for the year, "Good Christians and upright citizens" in the light of the 'Our Father' is a reminder of Don Bosco's own mission for his boys back in his times.

For me, everytime I come across this theme or the poster, I am reminded that it is while speaking about this theme to the Cooperators, last November, that I got the call from home!  And ironically, I was speaking to them about contextualising the theme in the Indian context and the relevance of the 'name'.  While preparing for the talk, and the significance of the 'name' in the Indian tradition and how we tend to 'use' it rather than live it, I was always thinking of it in the context of our political and religious heritage.  But while speaking to the cooperators, what kept coming back to my mind was my own name 'Castilino'.  And all the examples and explanations I was giving, even though it fitted well with the context I was explaining, in my mind, they were all mirroring my surname, my family name, my Dad!

The only other thing I remember of that talk, is that I did not focus on the latter half of the theme: 'honest citizens'.  I remember not if I did tell this to them or not, but I certainly thought about it.  To accomplish that in the Indian context, it may take even Don Bosco himself quite some time and effort!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...