Pages

23 January 2020

Mindless reading

Of late I've begun to realize that first time reading does not really lay out the meaning of what I'm reading.  Worse if it is a dense philosophical text.  Not that I haven't read it properly or that the text is totally new.  Just that after doing the reading, nothing sticks to the mind. 

I'd attribute this flaw in reading to our daily recital of morning prayers! Over the years, praying those psalms and canticles, without paying any attention to what those words mean has now turned into a kind of habit which applies to all and any reading - mindless reading!  On the other hand, the scripture passages in the same morning prayers are the basis of my meditation.  So somehow, they evoke thought and reflection - eve if at times they are not read by me, but by someone else.  Even this very thought came to my mind, while 'reading - mindlessly - the prayers' a couple of days ago!

So there is some hope! Not all is lost! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...