Pages

15 January 2020

Broken Bread

When a glass or ceramic plate falls to the ground and breaks, it breaks!  There is no pattern or fixed design that it breaks in or into.  It just turns into pieces.  To expect, something to break into symmetric and orderly pieces is irrational.

Whenever we have the community Mass, it is interesting to note how the Eucharistic bread is broken.  Fr John has told me a couple of times (in the context of using small hosts rather than the big one) that he prefers to use the big one and break it, even if that means additional work.  The theology behind it: 'breaking' of the bread. 
He took the bread, broke it, and gave it to His disciples.
So he prefers it to use the big host alone and not big and small hosts, for all partake of the same bread.  And when he breaks the bread, it is hardly in any orderly fashion.  He literally breaks it!!  There are times when I have said to myself, why not break it more 'neatly'?  Today it occurred to me that if broken, then broken!  Not divided equally! 

Most important of all, it occurred to me this morning that rather than 'see' Jesus in the Eucharist, I was looking for symmetry and order of the broken host!  I don't think, I'll stop noticing the odd shapes of the broken host, but I need to start noticing Jesus therin too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...