Pages

05 October 2015

Extreme experiences at Osmania Hospital

I returned from the hospital this morning, after what was supposed to be a simple drop for one of our ailing boys at Nampally home.  One of our boys was complaining of acute pain in the abdomen since midnight of Sunday.  Rushed him to a nearby hospital and the doctor suspected appendicitus.  Yesterday I took him to the city hospital for further examination and soon the emergency of the situation dawned upon the doctors and he was lined up for a surgery for a perforated intestine caused due to a burst ulcer.  Cutting the long story short, he is now recuperating post surgery and me too!  It has been quite sometime I spent time in the hospital accompanying someone and I am glad I could be of some assistance to Sai in this crucial moment.

However, my impression of my maiden experience of Osmania hospital is a very mixed one. I just couldn't imagine how a hospital, of all places, could be so filthy!!  Really, the stench, dirt, waste (human, clinical, and everything else too) does not in anyway, qualify it to be a hospital.  I was horrified to see a dog and a few puppies on the second floor of the hospital... and from the way they were walking around, it does not seem that they had wandered there but that they were living there!! And of course, there was a cat in the surgical intensive care unit, the place where I was the whole night.  Gosh!!
Photo originally found here.
That said, I was trying to understand how could such a supposedly hygenic place be so pathetic.  It did not take me long to notice that beginning with the patients to the visitors, everyone gladly adds to the filth in the hospital.  Spitting everywhere and pissing around the corners seem to be something normal and the right thing to do! Naturally, the dilapidated sections of the building too does not help much improving the hygiene factor.

Well that's one side of the picture. Balancing - or rather, out-weighing - this ghastly side, is the dedication and the work spirit of the team of doctors in the hospital.  I was only there for one day and a night and all along I saw the same team of doctors working, meeting, checking on the patients, performing surgeries and all that stuff with quite an expertise and enthusiasm.  And those free, even if for short intervals, were keenly discussing or reading thick journals and books concerning medicine! That was really something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...