Pages

26 July 2013

Redefining 'spirituality'

In my Anthropology class today, I had an interesting discussion with my Brothers. It was about spirituality.  One of them asked me, if a Priest, neglecting his prayer life, goes about doing good to people, can still be regarded as a spiritual Priest?  Rather than me answering it, I reverted the question to the whole class.  Most of them were of the opinion that he could still be called a 'spiritual priest'.  However, a handful of them had objections.  Finally when all had stated their stance, I replied that all that was discussed had nothing to do with spirituality!  It was rather a very good example for 'Carthesian duality' of which I spoke to them, as part of the conclusion of the chapter on 'spiritual being'.  I had stated that this attitude of splitting things up into halves and juxtaposing one against the other is not something spirituality is all about. Rather, it is about integration, balance and harmony!

I took the opportunity to blast their foundations about Priesthood and spirituality. I emphatically and with reasons showed them how spirituality is not the monopoly of Priests or religious.  Every person, everyone, is called to be holy!  Priesthood is nothing more than one of the several means to reach that goal of sanctity, holiness, oneness!  The worst is when we idolize priesthood itself! Further damage is done when priesthood and sanctity are automatically linked!  C'mon!

Very many in the class saw the point, some even questioned me for this - but all in good faith!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...