Pages

18 July 2013

Becoming holy

As I finalize the survey forms for the forthcoming Salesian Brothers' Congress, with the help of confreres and friends, I am aware of certain things that I'm consciously excluding or including in the forms, things which can implode or explode... I really can't predict; but the fact is that they will cause a stir in those who are serious about the whole affair.

One of such things is the whole idea of practices of piety and its place in our spirituality or sanctity.  So this morning, as I sat for meditation, it struck me that if I were to ask a person, what he or she does inorder to live, I suppose the person would say what his occupation is or where and how he secures his daily bread.  I certainly would not hear him or her say that he or she breathes!  Why not?  Is breathing not essential?  Certainly, but it is so essential that it is taken for granted.  That's the least one needs to do to live.  So too, when it comes to being holy (especially in the context of religious life).  Prayer is something so essential and basic that it is almost taken for granted as part of being holy.  It is the least one can do!

I remember Fr Stan telling us before the Provincial Chapter, of a young cleric whom he confronted about his regular absence from community prayer, to which the cleric retorted, "But morning prayer and evening prayer is not everything of prayer."  Fr Stan told us, his response: "That's the least we expect of you.  If you find even that difficult, how else are you growing in holiness?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...