Pages

08 July 2013

Questioning

I'm taking Anthropology for the second course and theodicy for the third years.  The former is not a real class: the students did not want me to ask questions... so I merely 'read out my class' and they faithfully write down.  It is nothing but a 45 minute exercise in writing!  No questions asked, none answered!  Initially I thought of just dictating the notes and not giving it another thought myself. Then I said to myself, just because they are not keen on asking questions, why should I stop asking questions?  So I ask questions to myself and try to answer them... all of it in a slow and loud voice!

The other class of theodicy, with the final years, is quite interactive.  They are hell bent on carrying on this mode. So I barely make much progress as with the aspect of covering the syllabus. But I know they are with me (at least most of them; a handful are like Alice in wonderland) and are thinking!  What more can a professor of Philosophy ask, other than his students are engaged in critical reflection?

I always believed that questions, more than answers, are the triggers to thought and reflection.
You become intelligent not because you know everything without questioning but rather because you question everything you think you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...