Pages

03 January 2009

Brothers' Congress ... IMPRESSIONS

The Congress is over... and so is all the 'ache' with it - both of the head as well as of the heart! Well, on the whole, a very good and enriching experience. By the time I reach back to my place, I may have some other things to break my head over. So I'd better attempt a synthesis here and now! For news, you have it all here http://www.donboscoindia.com

First things first... Good, now I have a first hand, knowledge and idea of the 'mood and mode(s)' of the Salesian Brothers in our region. Though not brilliant as some other people and groups I know, I'm happy to notice that there is a growing sense of optimism and joy and young blood in the group - something very evident! Though numerically we have shrunk, the vibrancy is there. Many of the senior Brothers made special mention of this. Surely, a veteran of many a Congress, will see the evolution, and feel the vibe.

Ideologically, I think I still remain where I was, prior to the Congress. I don't think there was something very different and challenging idea(s) to make me rethink some of the views I hold (right or wrong) about being a Brother. The idea of Br TV Johny to which I referred previously, is certainly an addition. But that's more about being a Salesian than specifically a Brother. Somehow, I'm still not convinced of craving for a 'specific' vocation as Brothers. For me, it ends with being a Salesian! How I live that Salesian vocation is all that matters for me. Since I've chosen to be a Brother, I live it Don Bosco's way, sans the sacramental part. For the rest, I create my identity - as a Salesian!

Among very many senior Brothers, there is a lot - and I really feel it very strongly for the first time - of unresolved tension. They hide - and continue to hold - very very deep and painful scars, even wounds! On the other hand, they are those who don't mind giving a poke to these wounds. So it's a sort of two way accident: one causing it, the other 'wanting' it!

By way of the method and modality of organisation, we Brothers, have a long way to go! We're still feeling the ropes!! I wonder if this is only about organising a meeting - perhaps with the intellectual and 'paper' burden! I only hope, with a very faint heart, that this is not our overall style of functioning. I somehow get a feeling, that most of us, just scrape through in our responsibilities. With the exception of a few who really make a dent, if not by professionalism at least by collaboration, the vast majority of us shy away. I do not mean to say, that we are not willing to do our best, but somehow we don't! Maybe something to do with what I mentioned previously (past experiences...).

Most of the 'issues' are personality concerns. Being a Brother has nothing to do with it actually. But when an issue is linked to 'being a brother' then it's an insurmountable mountain! Anyway, I guess that will take some time to erode!

I liked something that I overheard yesterday as we were leaving the hall. Having discussed and argued as to whether Brothers need to go for qualification or not, what someone said made a lot of sense to me. I always felt my stomach churning when people 'praised' the Brothers working in the Generalate as postmen, librarians, pantry men... I used to say to myself, 'surely we are capable of more than doing that. So don't tell me to get into a rut of one activity till I'm in my grave!' But what I heard yesterday changed my view, especially of the Brothers in the Generalate themselves. I heard: Those Brothers there doing that work in the post office, kitchen, library... have been doing it for years. When they were young they liked the job and were then trained for it. Hence they happily carry on with it. So there it is! They liked something, got qualified for it, and continue it HAPPILY. If that is a fact, I have no grounds, absolutely, to feel sad for them or even get angry with them! They are living just as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...