Pages

24 September 2015

Zen and Mysticism

(While at Punganur...)

I just finished reading a small book titled Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. Perhaps this is the first time I'm reading an account of Zen from someone who has at least made an attempt to become part of it, not merely intellectually but something more experiential. Add to that the fact that it is written by a Westerner, since I doubt any Eastern or Japanese would really write about it! However, the writing brought to my mind certain thoughts or concepts written by Miester Eckhart or even Kahlil Gibran. Have to admit that unless one truly experiences it or atleast is willing to be enveloped by it, the text makes profound sense and seems nonsensical at the same time! … mostly the latter. From my little reading and experience I do not see much of a distinction between the “It” or “Budda” described in Zen and “God” in the deeper and radical Christian experience...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...