Pages

19 March 2014

Challenging the 'Church'

We are nearing the completion of the academic year and it is time for the evaluation of the different aspects of life and works that we managed to accomplish during the year.  As I sat today collating and tabulating the personal evaluation sheets of the Brothers, something that struck me was the following.  This year, more than ever, we have been collectively and very very consciously re-moulding our image, opinion and convictions about very many things, especially the Church and spirituality. (I should say much credit for this goes to Fr Maliekal).

I very well know that it is a counter image that we are trying to project and help our students imbibe. Counter image only because the Church in Andhra Pradesh - or let me be more specific to say, that the clergy and those who really call the shots (unfortunately!) - is very often too narrow-minded and selfishly pietistic in its outlook.  This is evident, most of all, in the reactions and responses of the Brothers when we challenge them to a different perspective of things related to prayer, devotion, animation, spiritual life... But I'm glad and more than convinced that unless we do it here and now, I too will be culpable of not making the Church relevant and truly Catholic! I certainly am not in any way keen to build an institutional Church, but 'the Kingdom of God', yes! Someone needs to challenge some basic - and I mean, very very basic - issues that are neatly and conveniently compromised or totally misinterpreted.  Being in a regional Major Seminary truly provides the best possible ground.

It is not that I expect changes to happen tomorrow morning, but I very well can sow the seeds today! That's one point I certainly feel proud of...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...