Pages

21 February 2014

Radical Witness

Did Jesus purposely meddle with the social order of the day?  In other words, did He have an option - and perhaps not utilize it - wherein He could speak of the Kingdom without upsetting the prevalent state of affairs?  Or is it that He just had to?  He could have been very 'Churchy' about His way of going about and thereby not stirred any nest, leave alone the hornet's nest!  He could have very well sung a beautiful sober melody, without stirring any chords... just a soft lullaby.  Or was His aim, only spiritual renewal and the ensuing social disorder a 'collateral damage'?

I don't think so.  I believe His message was a whole package and not some neatly decorated gift to one aspect of life.  It was a stinger!  What then is the power of my message - if at all, I have one?

We Salesians are beginning our 27th General Chapter soon in Rome and I hope at that level we make some policy decisions which will promote a culture of radical gospel witness. I really don't expect the Congregation to be radical... only individuals can. The rest, as they say, will follow suit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...