Pages

25 September 2012

Self-formation

The fissures in my formative methodology for the Brothers were as clears as the Sun today.  It is not that I was not aware of the drawbacks; but that nagging question: 'Is this the best strategy/possibility?' was answered today.  Thanks to a heated but sensible argument I had with one of the student leaders.

I knew for certain that my periodic and prolonged absence as well as commitments which forced me to take up 'Brothers-time' (time I otherwise would have spent with and for them) would have an adverse effect on them.  Today's argument endorsed that feeling of mine.

Though the argument began for a simple reason, it slowly built up to a point where I could not but notice that there were several deep-down issues that were fueling this flame which was only flickering. Thanks be to God for having given me the insight to sense it and thereby bring them to the fore - rather than merely exchange harsh words or me shutting him up, squarely.

Looking back, I now feel good for the tone that I took - that of openness and willingness to see/hear beyond that what the Brother was sharing.  This also facilitated him to be frank in expressing his - as well as the general - pulse with regard to certain of my actions and attitudes.

Another positive aspect of my interaction was that I did acknowledge that, at times, I had misjudged him - I realised this after hearing him out fully.  Just like my initial outburst, I did not mince words to admit, "I was wrong." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...