Pages

01 September 2012

Do what?

Being the administrator, I'm most often asked to deal and "negotiate" with all those who knock at our gates for alms.  Luckily, there aren't many who walk in, except for the regular ones, mostly the aged and the physically or mentally challenged.  Furthermore, most of them are from the neighbouring village itself.  However, now I've begun to take note of their arrival and give them something once in a month or so. I certainly do not entertain them every other day.

Today I had a man who truly did not seem 'normal'.  I've met him a couple of times earlier and I did give him something on an earlier occasion for a particular need he expressed.  The request he made today falsified his earlier request!  So I clearly told him that I wouldn't pay him anything today.  He pleaded for long and when he understood that I was not going to relent, he walked away.

A while later I was asking myself, "What really could I have done for him?"  Dishing out money was the easiest but certainly not the best.  Given his state of mind and body, no one would have given him work, me neither.  So then how on earth does he survive?

I still do not have a clue... not about him, about what I should or could do for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...