Pages

03 April 2011

Love vs Discipline (Evelyn)

Today I watched the movie 'Evelyn'... lovely movie of the love of a father to be united with his children in the wake of his wife deserting him and him struggling to make ends meet. With the able support of a couple of friends, he fights the very Irish Constitution and wins.

I'll come straight to the point that is rigning loud in my head: my role as the disciplinarian in the house. In the movie there is the convent where the little girl Evelyn is being brought up. The community of Sisters, each with their own temperament enable the growth of the children under their care. While Sr Bridget was indeed strict the other Sisters were gentle and caring. Was Sr Bridget wrong? I'd say, yes. She was truly cruel, to the extent of meeting out physical punishment.

That brings me to the next level of thought: Was her behaviour not in keeping with the growth and discipline of the child? I'm still not clear. But I guess there is a fairly thin line dividing strict discipline and dictatorship. And I surely need to know that line well!

The song above, 'Angel Rays' by Gemma Hayes, is a beautiful one given the context of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...