Pages

17 April 2020

Useless anxieties

Someone today asked me how I could be happy, when there is this pandemic wreaking havoc everywhere around me?  I did not respond since the one asking me was very emotionally disturbed and anxious.  But I said to myself, "Why not?  I am happy.  Not that I am unaware of the plight of people but that there is also so much goodness and life around me that I cannot be blind to.  More than happy, I am contended.  Contended that I am doing what I can, in spite of the luxurious life I live."

I am happy and contended to have a house to live in.  A comfortable and cosy house, with a large self contained room for myself.  Really lavish food everyday!  Food splendid enough to put the royal household to shame!  I have no requirement of mine lacking: clothes, footwear, gadgets, wifi and internet.  I have a homely community with whom I can interact everyday.  I have time at my disposal to use for what I think best.  No other serious commitments that leave me craving for spare time.  So what is there that I should be sad about?

In all honesty, I am doing the best I can given the present circumstances for those around who need help.  The only thing I don't do is, worry! Neither do I fear for what will come; if I will fall sick or something may happen.  For if that happens, then so be it.  I do not see any point in losing my peace of mind - and the ability to do some good - for what may happen later.

During Mass, after the 'Our Father' there is a beautiful prayer said by the priest:
Deliver us, Lord,
we pray, from every evil,
graciously grant peace in our days,
that, by the help of your mercy,
we may be always free from sin
and safe from all distress, and useless anxiety as we await the blessed hope
and the coming of our Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Fr Ronald Menezes, one of my former Rectors, used to add the highlighted phrase!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...