Pages

06 October 2013

Popular Religion

We concluded the semester exams yesterday and last evening I pulled out my study material for the next semester classes.  For the third years I'm taking Philosophy of Religion (PR) and as I was going through my own handwritten notes of the past years, I came across a piece of paper with the following quote on it:
To become a popular religion, it is only necessary for a superstition to enslave a philosophy.  (William Ralph Inge) 
Perhaps that's a good point to start my discussion on PR. Of course, that would mean, I'll have spend at least one class explaining to my students the meaning of that quote!!

Anyway, the examination on Philosophy of God was an utter fiasco.  Mostly all of them were sure of the theory but had no knowledge of what they were speaking! Thus I told them: theory: 100 but knowledge: 0.  I may be too fast or rash in judging, but their idea of God remains the same!  They don't just defend their 'God'; they simply imprison him!  So their initial idea and their concluding idea is the same, everything else in between is a text; nothing of which affects either 'their God' or themselves.  Or perhaps, it will in due time, hopefully! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...