Most often, I barely pay attention to the words of the psalms and canticles I pray during our lauds and vespers. The recitation is clear and loud, but the meaning is barely dwelt upon or even considered. I guess it has become a routine and therefore the recitation is more in terms of familiarity with the text than meaningful prayer.
However, today there was Katrin with us for morning prayer. I'm sure she never ever recited the lauds ever before and therefore offering her the breviary and indicating the prayers, I felt the need to read the text as if she were reading. Virtually how it would be that she would understand the same words and phrases of the psalms and canticles, that I'm so used to reading so often.
It was surprising to note that quite a few bits felt odd or even not contextual. Perhaps even out of place or redundant. At times it felt as if the words did not do justice or fell short of actually expressing the real feeling or sentiments.
Nonetheless, an interesting experience it was!
No comments:
Post a Comment