Pages

08 September 2019

Sweet spice!

Besides tomatoes, the most vibrant growth in the garden this year has been of the scotch bonnet plant.

I planted the only seed I could gather from a pod given by a neighbour last year, this January, soon after I returned from home.  Let it sprout and grow for almost three months in my room itself.  Then once the summer heat began I transplanted it in a pot and it really shot up! It now has more than two dozen spicy pods!  Only problem is I know not what to do with them.  People here are so frightened of its spice that even to cut it they use thick plastic gloves.  (Most Scotch bonnets have a heat rating of 80,000–400,000 Scoville units. For comparison, most jalapeƱo peppers have a heat rating of 2,500 to 8,000 on the Scoville scale!!) Whatever it be, seeing it grow has been a real joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...