Pages

24 October 2018

Framing the Question

If I had an hour to solve a problem and my life depended on the solution, I would spend the first 55 minutes determining the proper question to ask, for once I know the proper question, I could solve the problem in less than 5 minutes. - Attributed to Albert Einstein 
Einstein is right on the dot! you need the right question in order to get the answer. The four “factors” to be kept in mind in the process of judging, according to Lonergan, are:

  1. give a chance for further questions to arise 
  2. make sure the question is set correctly 
  3. mastery of the context 
  4. pay attention to your temperament - whether you tend to be rash and hasty, or indecisive.

The above is from Fr Ivo's blog.  I just had to store it in my consciousness... lest I forget.

I'm at a mode of my PhD where I am told that I need to get my question really definite and sure.  But I don't feel I'm ready for that yet.  I do have a general idea of where I am going and what I want to do, but if you want a definite question, I don't think I have it yet.  While on the one hand, there is this innate feeling that the question will emerge, when the time is right - something I'm told by some whom I value - and on the other, there is a sort of pressure to frame one, now!  A bit unsettling state to be in!  

1 comment:

  1. You do have my sympathy! But let it ferment. It will come.
    Maybe write one version of the question every couple of days to release some pressure. All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...