Pages

27 August 2015

Sunday best tossed out!

A couple of days ago I was reminded of the time when the whole concept of wearing the 'Sunday best' got tossed out of my system. It was a couple of months after I joined the aspirantate, in Gunadala, Vijayawada. Having brought up in a traditional Catholic family, I grew up in a culture of wearing the best clothes for Sunday Mass. I carried that 'tradition' to the aspirantate too. However, after two Sundays, and precisely two days of oratory with the street children of Vijayawada after Sunday mass, I threw out this tradition! Initially, I wore the same Sunday best to the shelter home where I was sent for my Sunday oratory. By the time I reached home, the clothes were anything but neat. With children hanging on me, pulling me in all directions, then all the crazy games we used to invent to bring a smile on their faces... the clothes bore the brunt of it all. The next two Sundays, I was very much conscious of my clothes and thereby very very restrained in my 'involvement' with the kids. On my way back home on the third Sunday, I realized that I was more worried about my clothes than the boys for whom I was visiting the shelter home. By the time I reached home, 'Sunday best' was tossed out of my system!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...