Pages

06 November 2011

Spiritual Cacophony

This morning I had to but undergo a 'spiritual' torture. In the absence of Fr Rector, who is a great fan of Charismatic prayer, I had to accompany the Charismatic group to a neighbouring Parish where they were to animate a three hour charismatic prayer. I went along just because Fr Rector asked me to and there was no way I could wriggle out of it. I stayed put in the Church till it 'kick-started' and then slowly made my way out of the Church onto the drive. The rest of the two and half hours I spent walking up and down on the drive. But even there the sound was clear and loud... deafening, in fact. So was the 'preaching' of the Brothers. However, most of the time it was real cacophony... everything happening at the same time, the preacher preaching, the choir singing, a couple of them 'calling on the Lord' and to add cream to it all, was the keyboard player who was testing every key on the board forgetting that it was connected to the amplifier all the while!

Frankly, I knew I should be out of the Church when there is a service in progress and that too when my own Brothers are animating it. However, I just couldn't stand it. Certainly charismatic prayer is not my cup of tea. My understanding of prayer is far removed from anything so 'charismatic'. But thanks to this trip, I got to spend sometime talking to the Lord, besides trying to find out how He bears up with all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...