Pages

08 February 2011

Thanks, Laxmi

This afternoon we had a short felicitation gathering for Lakshmi, one of our cooks, as today was her last working day. She is getting married this weekend on February 12, 2011. The Brothers had collected some money which was handed to her by the course leaders and on behalf of them all, Naveen spoke a few words. I always thought there would be none worse than me for a Telugu speech... but after hearing Naveen, I feel proud! Anyway, Fr Devadas too appreciated her six year long service to the community and wished her well on our behalf. Asked to speak, I thought Lakshmi wouldn't, but she did stand up. After a couple of moments of silence, she blurted, "All are looking at me!!" Everyone burst out laughing. She then spoke just two sentences, and we were all in tears.
I do not have parents. All I know is Fr (pointing at Fr KT Jose, the Rector) as my father and Annapoornamma (another senior cook) as my mother. These two friends (pointing and Kasi and Yedulamma) of mine looked after me as their own younger sister. You all (referring to the Brothers) are my brothers. I am eternally indebted to you all!
She could not continue any more. Neither did we want to embarrass her further. We concluded with a prayer.

For an orphan, uneducated and typically rural girl to stand up before a group of 90 young men and speak with such meaning and depth, there has to be a driving force. It was surely her sincere commitment to her job and her confidence that this was her family.

God bless her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...