Pages

28 December 2008

Salesian Brotherhood... a long way ahead still

Reflecting on the theme of the vocation to Brotherhood, something was nagging me since long. I'm glad I could pen it in exact words after long. It was the whole election of Br Claudio Marangio as the Economer General. I've nothing against him. I really do not even know him. However, my reflection is about the whole process.

For me his election is more a setback to the promotion of Brotherhood much more than a help! It somehow stinks of 'quota' system. What's worse is that the congregation once again thought of Brothers as good 'administrators'. Had this happened a few years ago, I'd really have rejoiced. But not today!

Another view of looking at it is this way: Did any of the confreres, even think, if not propose, the name of a Brother to any of the posts of Youth Pastoral, Formation, Social Communication... ? If no, then we are still way behind our own talks, circulars and speeches! A long way to go...!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Casti,
    You have hit the nail right on the head...
    Br. Claudio's election was an "appointment" master minded by the Italian lobby... They had no other candidate even to propose...
    More than "quota system" it was also a "fixing"...
    Think of it... the candidate was "promoted" well ahead and brought in as invitee...
    So, all the high fallouting talk about Holy Spirit in the "game" is all big sham...
    It's time to look reality in the eye...
    All the best for the upcoming brother's congress.
    I still believe that DB wanted the Brothers to be "man of God in the WORLD OF MEN".
    CM Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fr CM,
    Thanks for the information! Doesn't surprise me having heard of such similar cases earlier. Just learning...

    I just "completed" my paper to be presented during the Congress. It is still very naive, I know. But that's all I could muster. Several thoughts but scattered. Need time and space to put order and sense in them all.

    However, am glad I forced myself to this talk! Shall put it on dbi soon - may be enrich it with all the comments and remarks.

    Thanks for the wishes and compliments! I liked the phrase 'man of God in the WORLD OF MEN'. Will give it a thought along the way to Chennai!
    Castilino

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...